New DVD Releases – Tuesday December 18, 2007
We have a really good list of DVD releases this week.
- Blade Runner (Five-Disc Ultimate Collector’s Edition) – In honor of its 25th anniversary, Ridley Scott’s science fiction masterpiece, Blade Runner, starring Harrison Ford, is making a long-awaited return to the big screen with a completely re-mastered director’s cut, Blade Runner: The Final Cut. The film has not only been completely restored with new and improved special effects, but also includes never-before-seen added and extended scenes that Ridley Scott created specifically for the new edition.
Spectacularly restored and re-mastered from original elements and scanned at 4K* resolution, fans of the original Blade Runner will have a chance to see this sci-fi classic as it has never been seen before, while a new generation of moviegoers will have their first opportunity to see why Blade Runner is still considered to be, by both critics and fans, one of the most important genre films of the 20th century.
Cast: Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, Daryl Hannah, M. Emmet Walsh, Edward James Olmos, Joe Turkel, Brion James, Joanna Cassidy, William Sanderson; Directed by: Ridley Scott
- Underdog (Comedy) – Underdog’s mysterious origins begin in the wake of an accident in the high-tech lab of the maniacal scientist Dr. Simon Barsinister (Peter Dinklage). Suddenly, an ordinary, down-and-out young Beagle named Shoeshine finds himself with extraordinary powers, not to mention the unexpected ability to turn his bark into real speech.
Cast: Alex Neuberger, Amy Adams, Jason Lee, Patrick Warburton, James Belushi; Directed by: Frederik Du Chau
- Balls of Fury (Comedy) – In the unsanctioned, underground and unhinged world of extreme Ping-Pong, the competition is brutal and the stakes are deadly.
Down-and-out former professional Ping-Pong phenom Randy Daytona (Dan Fogler) is sucked into this maelstrom when FBI Agent Rodriguez (George Lopez) recruits him for a secret mission. Randy is determined to bounce back and recapture his former glory, and to smoke out his father’s (Robert Patrick) killer — one of the FBI’s Most Wanted, arch-fiend Feng (Christopher Walken).
Cast: Christopher Walken, Maggie Q, Masi Oka, David Koechner, Terry Crews, Aisha Tyler, Diedrich Bader, Jason Scott Lee; Directed by: Ben Garant
- Stardust (Fantasy) – The sleepy English village of Wall is named for the cobblestone wall that has, for eons, kept the villagers safely apart from the supernatural parallel universe that lies just on the other side. It is here that young Tristan Thorne (Charlie Cox) makes a wild-eyed promise to the prettiest girl in the village (Sienna Miller), whose heart he hopes to win: that he will bring her back a fallen star. Now, in order to make good on his promise, Tristan will have to cross the forbidden wall, and enter a mysterious kingdom lit by unending magic and unfolding legends of which he will quickly become a part.
In this fantastical realm known as Stormhold, Tristan discovers that the fallen star is not at all what he expected but a spirited young woman (Claire Danes) injured by her cosmic tumble. Now, she is in terrible danger — sought after by colossal powers including the “King’s” (Peter O’Toole) scheming sons for whom only she can secure the throne; and a chillingly powerful witch (Michelle Pfeiffer) desperate to use the star to achieve eternal youth and beauty.
Cast: Claire Danes, Charlie Cox, Sienna Miller, Ricky Gervais, Jason Flemyng, Peter O’Toole, with Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert De Niro; Directed by: Matthew Vaughn
- The Simpsons Movie (Animation) – In the eagerly-awaited film based on the hit television series, Homer must save the world from a catastrophe he himself created. It all begins with Homer, his new pet pig, and a leaky silo full of droppings – a combination that triggers a disaster the likes of which Springfield has never experienced. As Marge is outraged by Homer’s monumental blunder, a vengeful mob descends on the Simpson household. The family makes a narrow escape, but is soon divided by both location and conflict.
Cast: VOICES OF:, Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, Yeardley Smith, Hank Azaria, Harry Shearer, Erin Brockovich-Ellis, Albert Brooks, Minnie Driver, Kelsey Grammer; Directed by: David Silverman